Suggestions for improvement, ideas for the new 3D

Hey,

great job Paddy. I already tried to customize this part but Im really new to Fusion360. Is it possible to attach your f3d File for educational purpose? :D

Thanks,
keeev

Hi,

i will share my file, also f3d file.

Suddenly I noticed that there is a mistake on the last part (Part 7). It will print without support, but the wheelhouse connect part does not fit anymore.
I have to change it too, so i would assume not to print the part I modified so far.

If you already printed one (like me) and don't want to throw it away, I will share a new connection part to save your print.

This makes me thinking about the way I shared my files so far. In future, I will only share files where I'm sure they will work without any trouble and I was able to print.
I will create a separate thread under project forum and share my experience there.

Patrick

What kind of screws did you use to join the parts? I tried with M3 screws and nuts but the nuts don't fit. There is not enough room for the nuts.

I'm printing Part 7 right now ^^ but a new connect part would be fine to fix the issue.

ATM I'm trying to customize the motor enclosure to have the opporutnity using different motors without printing the whole enclosure.

EDIT: I didnt try to assemble the parts - Im still printing
Greetings
keeev

Hi there,

one of the most complicated change I do is to add some sonar sensors at the front.

I plan to use 3 of them, one in center and one left and right. They are arranged at 120°. Current status looks like this
Nose3.png

I added a box shaped hole to place the left/right sonar and also added space for the center ones. The housing of sonar modules will be separate prints (the grey ones). After you place the sonar module (may use hot glue to fix it), just screw then into their box-shaped holes. The sonar modules will be closed from all sides (beside the holes in front), so no derbs from inside will damage the modules The nose itself will consist of three parts instead of two, but will be printable without support (which I always try to achieve)
Nose1.png

Nsoe2.png

The shape of the center sonar box should be changed to meet the rest of design for sure, this is just to imagine.

What do you think about this? Will this work? Looks it ok? Is angle correct?

One drawback I already discovered. As explained somewhere else, perimeter receiver doesn't fit in Robins' design. In my version, it doesn't fit at all. So one more part I have to think about.

Patrick
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/2946/Nose3.png/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
For me it depends if you want to be able to unscrew it several times. If so, you should use a metric screw and you need something like this https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampamuffe (expensive) or https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...XtQRUIHZs1DKQQ1QIoBnoECAQQBw&biw=1507&bih=706 (cheap from china)

I use both regulary to add metric threads to my printed parts, if I want to be able to unscrew them. The first one (RAMPA) must be screwed into plastic (or wood what they are initially made for). The second one can be placed by heating them up and molt into plastic. Insert a screw into the nut, hold it with some pliers and heat it up with hot gun, candle or the small kitchen "Bunsenbrenner". After a few seconds, place the nut into plastic and carefully mold it into. Hold it a few seconds in place until it cools a bit.

These will also work https://www.schraubenking.at/Kunststoffschrauben
Or just use screws for wood.

Hi Paddy.
Very good work if you can print the parts without support.
I Don't know exactly the printer you use but the Prusa I3 with 0.4 noze and 0.2 layer manage without issue the M3 or M4 thread and i use them to assemble 3D printed parts.
For the sonar are you sure the left and right can be use verticaly without Always detecting the ground (if i remember it's 25 deg vision) and not sure they are waterproof.
I think It's better to first build Something totaly adjustable and when you find the perfect position you can include it in the look of the new 3D.
For the 2 motor blade normaly need other place to put a second motor driver near the PCB

Here example of one adjustable solution but using waterproof sonar

Search for Ultrasonic-Module-Ranging-Distance-Measuring-Transducer-Sensor-Waterproof- on Ebay (near 7 Eur in china)
20181219_174908.jpg

By.
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/3545/20181219_174908.jpg/

Hi Bernard,

thank you for your input. I don't even know if sonar modules works when installed the way I plan, but there is a video from Jürgen which shows an really impressive Sonar scanner based on HC-SR04 modules and they are installed the way I plan to do
https://youtu.be/C3fT0GGqUOs
In my opinion, there is just one way to find it out, I'll try it :)

The modules are not waterproof at all but this was not an issue for the last 3 years I'm using them on my mower. Everytime it starts raining, I send the mower to home station and it is protected. I never mow when it is raining. I know the modules you use and I think they wold be great outside but they have one mayor drawback. They are rated as minimun distance of 25cm meaning they can't detect obstacles which are closer than 25cm. Maybe you can verify it with the modules you have. I don't need an exact mearurement below 25cm but the output must be distinct to "no obstacle". I just wonder what happens if the mower senses an obstacle? It starts slowing down if the obstacle is close, but when it gets too close (

Hi.
I don't even know if sonar modules works when installed the way
I wanted to say that the sonar detect the ground at 1 meter in front of the mower if you put it by this way.
You certainly need to inclinate it at 20 degrees or more ??? and only a real mowing test can give you the correct position.

Everytime it starts raining, I send the mower to home station
Very good and i did this way also ,it avoid spend a lot of time to clean the bottom of the mower.

obstacles which are closer than 25cm.
Yes it's why the sonar are not directly in front of the mower.
In my code when the sonar detect obstacle at 80 CM for example the mower slow down gently and stop after 70 CM and reverse (It's the Odometry use).And this work perfectly, the bumper are here only as safety,I need to check the next time i use the mower but maybe there are never use.

You can screw M3 and M4 screws into printed holes
Agree but maybe it's better to add the thread in fusion360, so other user know immediatly where to put a screw or not:dry: .
Maybe it's easier to unscrew also. To be confirmed!!

By.

Hi to all,

because Bernard mentioned to re-think the sonar, I started to change it again. This time, it doesn't use boxes already attached to the body. Instead, there is some kind of "window" where everyone can build a sonar mount as needed. If you just want to print my version of nose and don't want to use sonar at all, there is a lid-part which closes the window (see pictures).

I think this is the best way as we can try different sonar setups (horizontal and vertical angles, adjustable versions, different modules) by just redesign a small part (orange ones).

As before, the nose will consists of three parts, one center part (blue highlighted) and a left/right part. Center part will be printable without support (small changes needed) but left/right part will still need it. But it will need less support compared to Robin's nose
Nose4.png

Nose5.png

I hope to complete this section before christmas. As always, if it works like expected, I share all files on the other thread.

Patrick
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/2946/Nose5.png/

Hello Paddy,
good work! Only to share some ideas ... I did some experiments with sonar sensors on my prototype chassis. Attached is my "proof of concept" sonar front to fix 3 HC-SR04 sensor modules and a raspberry pi zero with camera. The prinziple is OK, climbing up the hill to terrace in the garden it sometimes detects the slope as an obstacle... means I must do some tests to find an optimized angle.
Michael
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/3659/FRontSonarv1.zip/

Hello Paddy,
good work! Only to share some ideas ... I did some experiments with sonar sensors on my prototype chassis. Attached is my "proof of concept" sonar front to fix 3 HC-SR04 sensor modules and a raspberry pi zero with camera. The prinziple is OK, climbing up the hill to terrace in the garden it sometimes detects the slope as an obstacle... means I must do some tests to find an optimized angle.
Michael

Hi Paddy.
Perfect for the sonar.
It's exactly what we need .
Everyone can use the cover or build and share other solution.
By.

Oben