Why is everything so expensive on this site

mccgregor

I registered on the forum to get some ideas - e.g. what speeds to aim for what size and weight of mower, what size of motors would be required, what size of wheels etc. i.e. I didn't want to "reinvent the wheel" if you like, but it seems to play in this area you have to play with your toys which are very nearly as expensive as off-the -shelf production models. You may argue that this gives ardumower buyers access to the basic kit to allow them to make their own models and customise them to compete with the expensive upmarket models.
BUT the components you sell are so VERY expensive!
You are really not doing your users any favours, I would estimate some components (like wheels and motors) must be 10 times or maybe 15 times what discerning buyers can access them for. I consider this a disgrace!

I have to disagree! The electronical parts are nearly as expensive as other online stores. Very offen I'm wondering how Marcus can earn money in this way. Just in cases of urgency I buy parts from the local store, otherwise I order from Marotronics to support him.

On the other hand you're right, that the sum of all pieces and parts is greater than commercial products.

But:
- you know your mower's nuts and bolts
- you can repair it by your own
- you can extend your mower
- no commercial product has all these features
- no commercial product gives you that fun to construct your own mower
- the parts are a way more robust, e.g. the used motors are really strong to overcome all possible slopes and therefore they are more expensive. Feel free to take other/cheaper one if you have plain land.

The drawbacks:
- it is no plug and play system
- you need time
- you need patience

I also wonder why everything is so expensive but to be onest, you will not find any of the components much cheaper out there.

For all small electronic parts, like DC/DC converter, sonar and so on, you will nearly pay the same in china but you must wait weeks to get them. Markus is a really reliable and fast supplier and I order regulary there for other projects.

You think the motors are too expensive? I agree with you, they are really expensive. But if you take a closer look and try to purchase the same or similar part, you never beat this price. I was looking for months to get a motor like these for less, but I never found them.

You think the PCB is too expensive? Go and build your own, every plan and all schematics are available. But you will not be able to find a producer who create a single board for you for this price. You can build it on breadboards sure, but this is not comparable (I did at the beginning and it was a waste of time and money).

I also tried to order all PCB components (resistors, LEDs, capacitors) from a large electronic wholesaler. If i placed the order, I had to pay more.

Chassis could be less expensive if you cut them from HDPE plates or wood by yourself. Most of us don't have access to CNC mills, so we must use our padsaw. We will not be able to rebuild it that exact. If you try to purchase it from one of the CNC shops out there, again you pay much more if you order a single piece.

To sum up, if the whole package is too expensive, go and build your own from cheap materials (wood, chinese motors) or try to grab one of defect commercial mower available on eBay.

You really should buy at least PCB with needed components (approx 150€) as you will be unable to get it cheaper. But please also note, if you buy a defect mower (like I did) or buy motors and so from china to build your own chassis, it will cost at least 200€ in addition.

In my opinion, you will be unable to build a mower for much less than 400€.

You don't want to waste your time to build everything and you're just looking for a inexpensive robot, have a look to all these chinese lawn mowers. But bear in mind, they will also cost ~600€ at least but you will be unable to enhance them.

There is another project called Liam. They use ikea plastic boxes as chassis and cheap motors. But their mowers are much smaller and too light in my opinion. But if this project is too expensive for you, Liam might fit better to your requirements.

I agree to Dennis. I don't know how Markus is able to earn money with the shop and in my opinion, he don't do so.

Paddy schrieb:
I agree to Dennis. I don't know how Markus is able to earn money with the shop and in my opinion, he don't do so.
But, meanwhile, I earn some money with it.
It is not much and you can not count the working time per week. (70-80 hours)
Without the project (which I love very much) I would not do that stress.

As e.g. the engines were mentioned.
Here are a few alternatives ;) https://www.conrad.de/de/drive-syst...-wellen-durchmesser-8-mm-191851.html?ref=list https://www.voelkner.de/products/1030382/TRU-Components-Gleichstrom-Getriebemotor-IG420212-25271R-24V-2100mA-2.45166-Nm-31-U-min-Wellen-Durchmesser-8mm.html (without odometry)
These are big companies that can shop better / cheaper than me with my small company.
I will not apologize for that,
I do not sell any scrap. :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Leider ist ein Beitrag nur auf Deutsch, wenn wer mag kann er ihn gerne Übersetzen.

Der Startbeitrag war sicher nicht böse gemeint, da wir alle annehmen das ein selbst gebautes Projekt wesentlich günstiger als ein kommerzielles ist. Beim Ardumower ist es leider nicht so, da beanspruchte Teile hochwertig ausgelegt sind das wir im Anschluss nicht jedes Jahr Kommponenten tauschen müssen, um einen mit den Jahren gerechneten Betrag X doch noch darüber liegen. Den Support von von Markus möchte ich nicht missen, da komen die viel teureren Wettbewerber nicht mit.
Einen Dank geht in diesem Sinne an all die Beteiligten an diesem Projekt, welches mir extrem viel Spaß macht.
MfG Ronny

I realize this is an old post, but as a new member I too had this question. I live in Canada and rarely order anything from Europe. Shipping cost is another barrier at times. Mass production is the standard way to make things cheaper.
I'm fascinated with the Ardumower concept and would like to tinker with it. For now I plan to build an Ardumower-like chassis (lawn rover), without the mowing parts, as a proof of concept to see if such a device will work for my situation. It will be made out of plywood that I have already saved from older projects. For wheel motors I did buy some cheap Chinese unit costing me $23 Canadian each, including shipping.

This project is more of a learning exercise for me rather than a serious robotic mowing project. I don't plan to use a perimeter wire so I will try to use odometry using some version of IMU, as RTK GPS is still expensive and I may look into it at a future date. First, I need an autonomous lawn rover to see how feasible it can work with an odometry like technology.

Now, back to more reading …

Peter.

Oben