Question to 24V battery

Hello Alex,

looks fine - Markus is working on offering a link to a German shop for a similar Li-Ion pack and suitable charger.

Regards,
Alexander

Hello Alex,

The battery is a ready assembled 'Sony Konion 7S2P' Lithium Ion battery pack (Sony Konion US18650V3 2250 mAh cells, Li-Mn), 29.4V, 4500 mAh, 500 recharge cycles, 126 x 36 x 65 mm (LBH).

You can order them as complete packs here (you need to contact them via email): http://www.modellbaufuchs.de
Regards,
Alexander

Hi,
thank you. I sent a e-mail to the shop. For me is clear that I can solder cells together and get requested voltage and capacity, but for long battery life there must be also PCB - ballancer - and this I don't know how it's working and where to buy.

Aley

Hello Alex,

The choosen cell does not need to be balanced. It is very robust. For charging, a Lithium-Ion charger can be used. The cells are very robust against discharge and overcharge (I did discharge my pack by accident and could recharge it without any drift in the cells...) - It's a complete new technology (Lithium Mangan).

Of course you can balance the cells every 1-2 years using a R/C model balancer. The pack has a connector for this.

Regards,
Alexander

Yes, but if I will buy a single cells, because there isn't a battery pack at this moment, I will solder 14 cells together (2x7) I will have what I want, but without any connector for ballancing and I'm not sure how I will decrease life of this pack without ballancing.

Special charger for Li-ion it's clear.

Alex

Hello Alex,

The problem with notebook cells is that they need to be balanced (our more expensive LiMn cell doesn't need to be balanced). So, the total cost (balancing PCB+cells) might be again the same...

Regards,
Alexander

Hello Alex,

Yes you are right - it's Lithium Ion technology, but not classic. It's something new: Lithium Ion Mangan, a very robust cell. They did not mention it there. But you can read more when googling the cell name:

Sony Konion US18650V3

Regards,
Alexander

Hi,
Thank you. One more question. Do you know if it's possible solder wires directly to the cells or I must buy a cells with pre-welded contacts ?

Thanks

Alex

Hello Alex,

if you scratch the conacts with a screwdriver before soldering, it may work without pre-welded contacts (I did this successfully - be careful to keep soldering time short), however it's much easier with them.

Regards,
Alexander

Hi AlexanderG,
I found also this cells on the ebay. Price is 3,99 / pcs. Can I trust ebay ?
But I can't find a charger on the ebay.

Alex

edit : please can you send me a Picture after soldering ?

[ebay]http://www.ebay.de/itm/1x-Sony-V3-US18650V3-LiNiMnCoO2-3-7V-2250mAh-Werkzeugakkus-E-Bike-/281461357131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4188677a4b[/ebay]

Oben