Improvements for the possible next chasis design

markor

All the other threads are in German and I have no idea what they are about, so I hope posting here is ok.

1. The one and by far the biggest design issue is that the chasis is black and it is not breathing in anyway! The motors and electronics maybe able to cope with the heat, but just 60 degrees celsius will absolutely hammer the batteries. I used my robot last summer for like 2months and the (expensive) batteries are already down to 28,1 volts at full charge from original 29,2 volts. That's a huge drop and I'm afraid the batteries will be useless after this full summer of mowing. I'm actually thinking of moving the batteries outside of the case, but that will need some imaginative engineering for sure.

Edit: I am sorry for assuming things here. I don't know what UFO material the case is, but with the temperature measurement in the MPU9250 I have now been able to track the temps and I have never seen the inside temp go above 37 celsius. And we just had a week of well over 30 degrees outside with sun shining directly from clear sky. Unbelievable. And my battery also was just a bit sleepy after long winter. Working great after few cycles. Sorry for the disinformation.

- Actually used my mspaint wizard skills and drew a picture that tells it much better. But the chasis should be designed so that heat can transfer out from the top, but still not allow water in. That would require the top part to go over the side walls and add new pieces that can be attached to the bottom of the top part so that they go around the side walls and leave 1-2cms of space between the side walls. This could and should apply to all 4 side walls. Back and front should be easy, but it will be tight to get the extra dropdown walls between the side wall and wheels.

- Make the color very light. I dont mind even full white. Maybe lightgreen to suit most etc, whatever draws the less heat.

The minor things include:
- place for usb port at the back panel: USB port at ardushop.
- Stop button needs larger circle at the inside of top part. It should go at least half way through the top part to be able to mount the stop button properly
- A hole in the smaller inside wall around the place of backpanel usb port to allow usb etc cable to go through. The usb cable can not bend from above or below the wall. Picture attached.
- some kind of shelf (maybe betweeb the mid and back walls, to place the gpu, imu etc sensors. I have had few leaks inside the case because the back wheel will bend the top part and make a small gap between top panel and the middle of back wall. I was wise enough to use the part from the top part's stop switch hole to put the sensors on top of that. Newer should fix anything straight down the bottom part.
- the power cord hole and start/stop button needs also some adjustment like the stop botton at top
- The sonar holes could be a bit easier to make all the way through (too thick safety left for those that do not use them).
- Hole in the front bumber or some suitable place in the bottom part for the sonar piece (loop reciever).

Anhänge

• Ardumower_chasis.png
    Ardumower_chasis.png
    7,3 KB · Aufrufe: 55
  • ardumower_midwall.PNG
    ardumower_midwall.PNG
    541,5 KB · Aufrufe: 57
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
1. The one and by far the biggest design issue is that the chasis is black and it is not breathing in anyway!
You're right. I also wanted a different color but the big problem is UV resistance. There is a high proportion of ash in the black plates, which means that the black plates are more stable in the sun, even if they get warmer.
For the new chassis, Dibond is planned as material for the top plate. It will then be possible to choose the color.
The chassis will then look significantly different and we will take the notes into account.
If you are very interested in the topic, go to the Skype working group.

Sorry for late answer. I am interested, but don't know about the skype groups and definately can't do in German. ;)

I think that was all the things I came across when building mine. One other thing I just remembered is that the mower should definetely have a larger cutting disk too. So a bit wider chasis or something would be great.

Oben