Why is an own base better than NTRIP?

rweickelt

I read several times in this forum and in the Wiki that an own base gives better correction information, but i fail to see why. Is it because of the LR connection between base and rover instead of WiFi or is the correction information different?

It is because then you have the base close to the rover. If you set up a base close to the rover and use wifi in between it should be the same 😀 I use a local base that is connected to rtk2go.com and then wifi on the rover. (uses the base for mor projects).

Another point is, that you get correction data for nearly all satellites the rover can see
Interesting. First I thought that could only apply to satellites close to the horizon, but in case of heavy clouds, the base might not see all satellites on the sky. And if the base is far away from the rover, the weather conditions could be significantly different. At least that's my poor conclusion.

In my case the next SAPOS base is 8km away, so it'll be interesting to check the performance.

rtk2go is also a very interesting project. Thanks for the hint.

just read another aspect: my SAPOS base only send correction data for GPS and GLONASS. GALILEO and BEIDU were not used

Oben