RTK kit seems expensive

Rytter

Hi all,
I would like to get started with an Ardumower but the budget is tight. I have 4000 m2 of lawn and assume that I need to run the efficient lane-by-lane operation.
AzuritBer and Sunray is my options as far as I can see.
I want to go for the Synray software but the RTK kit raises the price a lot.
My question is why Marotronics charges € 899 for the LR (Long range kit) when simpleArdu.com sells the same kit for € 662 (+ € 17.5 shipping). The difference is € 219.5 (or +32%).
I guess, Marotronics adds the extra cost to cover inventory, shipping, and handling. Or do they add some other value, e.g. configuration data, to the kit? I'm guessing here - please enlighten me.
BTW, I think it is fine to have the costs covered (+ a bit extra) but think 32% is a lot.

TIA.
-Jacob

The RTK Kit is configured for the Ardumower. And if you will buy an Husqvarna Automower RTK/GPS then you have to pay more as €7000,. and the Automower did not mow lane by lane. The lane by lane Automower is coming next year for €25000,.🤣

AFAIK, the RTK kit from Marotronics contains additional suitable antenna ground plates (required for proper GPS signals with the patch antennas) and is ready pre-configured for our robot mower applications. So basically, it's a tuned RTK kit.

Hi Jacob,

try to make a cart with all your needs on Ardusimple homepage. Don't forget the configuration service (+110€). The RTK set from Marotronics is preconfigured for the Ardumower - in my case it was plug and play. On top of your configuration there will be VAT, depending on your country, and shipping.
At the end the price from Marotronics ist not that bad at all and - which is important for me - you will support the Ardumower project.

Regards
Wolfgang

Hi,
Thanks for the quick responses.
And yes, those price tags from Husqvarna are crazy. Totally out of the question for my case. That's why I look at open source :).
I see that the added value (configuration+ground plates) explains the higher price tag. I didn't notice that Ardusimple prices was without VAT and then the gap becomes much smaller. Thanks for the input :) :).

I'll continue to evaluate if the Synray will be the right solution for me. The higher price is only one aspect. The big trees in my garden is another. What is the experience of having large trees? Will I be in trouble?

-Jacob

Anhänge

• Google maps.png
    Google maps.png
    473,5 KB · Aufrufe: 16
  • IMG_20210805_103803.jpg
    IMG_20210805_103803.jpg
    1,8 MB · Aufrufe: 15
Hi,
If you refer to a public service of GPS correction data then it is not an option.
In Denmark such services are not free - not even close to free. €1000/year is the lowest price I could find. Crazy... :eek:
But thanks for your interest and the suggestion. I guess my only option for RTK is to buy my own base station and use radio for rover-base communication.
Does anybody have other suggestions that could work? NTRIP could be used on free basis of all base station owners to share the correction data, right? Does anybody know if such community based network exists - or if the concept exists somewhere and I could be the first to share my correction data?

Rtk2go sounds interesting. I did read about the SNIP product but didn't realize that there was a free public server to use.
If I go for that solution, will I then have to have full wifi coverage over the whole lawn or is there a smarter way to use it?

The smarter way is a own GPS Base. the correction signal in the free field is round about 10km. And the you get more fix as with NTRIP.

Some user here buy first NTRP system and have then changed to own GPS base for the correction signal. Because the it works more stable, the corrections signal from the own GPS base is better as from NTRIP system by W-LAN. And you need not in the complete garden a good W-LAN signal because from the own GPS base the correction signal is a radio signal.

Some user here buy first NTRP system and have then changed to own GPS base for the correction signal. Because the it works more stable, the corrections signal from the own GPS base is better as from NTRIP system by W-LAN. And you need not in the complete garden a good W-LAN signal because from the own GPS base the correction signal is a radio signal.
I won't be able to install the GPS base on the top of the house so I'm not sure if the RF signal will get to all the lawn "around" the house (for Homematic I need several RF LAN adapter to cover the hole area). So my idea is to use an own GPS base which provides NTRIP data via W-LAN (W-LAN is available on the complete area). Would you see this as possible solution or are the any other drawbacks?

I think if the RF signal is so powerful that you can receive it in 10km in a free field, then I think it is not a big problem. But I'am also a young Ardumower user!!

From the Ardusimple homepage: The included radio modules will let you send RTK corrections up to 10km. This distance will depend on the region of use, subject to local regulations. We will adjust the radio setting according to your shipping address. If that’s too much and you are looking for a more affordable solution, check out our Starter Kit MR

simpleRTK2B Long Range Starter Kit IP67, based on u-blox ZED-F9P (ardusimple.com)

Oben