Reel mower with ardumower

fesz

Hi,

I want to try ardumower as reel mower, it has few aspects.

+ no need to high RPM motor for blades, so it could be more power effecience,
+ there will be no cut off pieces of lawn (my friend that has gardenening warn me that he had very often customers with automatic mowers because of need verticutation (aeration)
+ nicer grass than my neighbor's :)

- more power need for push the mower
- complicated turning (cause of vehicle length), barrier detection
- maybe needed higher speed of moving to cut gras correctly

I was thinking about adding motors and all electronics to one of this mowers:
A) HECHT 514 PRO http://www.hecht.cz/product-catalogue/garden-care-cz/sekacky-na-travu-cz/hecht-514.html - attach standard ardumower chasis to mower and used it to push the mower, I don`t know how difficult will to turn or turn arround (need some modification to code?)

B) FISKARS StaySharp Max Reel Mower http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-a...-Mowers/StaySharp-Max-Reel-Mower#.VMa5DHX5ORo - motors may be put directly on big wheels (don`t know how exactly are wheels interconnect or connect to the mower), maybe could be easier to change direction than with standar adrumower connected (it will not be so long vehicle)
- it looks like only one wheel is connected with reel, so I supposed that one motor will be more stress then the other one without rotating with reel (will it affect odometry and orientation in garden?)
- maybe it make sense to have third motor connected to reel (as on standard andumower), maybe not so powerfull

- there is grass catcher which can be mount on the front of these mowers (question is how to detect how much fill is it - maybe some pressure sensor or IR light barrier)

Maybe if ardumower can be connected/disconnected easily, it could be good so I can use reel mower to cut where ardumower is not good enough (some not well accessible area)

What do you think guys?

Dear Dusan,
I think there isn't experience with implementing of ardumower code to this kind of mowing.
I think you must calculate with much bigger and stronger motors = also drivers must be different etc .... I'm not optimistic with implementation.

Alex

Myslím, že horko těžko se povede naimplementovat ardumower na vřetenovou sekačku. Je to kompletní předělávka s implementací HW, který zatím nikdo nepoužíval.

Hi,

i think it is possible, like everythink you will do. But verry hard. The Motor drives both wheels, so there is no way for steering

Stefan

Oben