Protective Motor Circuitboard Translation

Hi All,

In the github documentation for the PCB, there is a new workaround file ("Motor-EntstoerungREV20150531") about protecting the motor driver and the rest of the electronics from inductive switching loads due to the wheel motors stopping and reversing as well as suppressing some other noise.

While I do not read German, in browsing that forum using (the much better than nothing) Google Translate, I noticed that there is a new protective circuit board (due to Jurgen Lange) being discussed and indeed Markus at Marotronics appears already to be hot on the trail of stocking the components in the shop.

Google Translate failed to translate the whole document into English, so I just spent a couple of hours with it feeding Google Translate the German text paragraph by paragraph -- and making some minor corrections where I could understand enough from context to make the result into smoother English.

The result is attached for everyone's benefit. Please note, the original German text is still in place, but the translations are attached as notes in the PDF.

Hope this helps someone else understand the scope of the problem.

Thank you (and the rest of the contributors) for all of your work! Compared to debugging circuits, cutting and pasting into Google Translate is pretty easy! ;-)

Hi All,

There is a new WORKSHOP document about constructing the protector board itself pointed to in the German Forum, that I am still translating. I will post the results (hopefully) in a few hours.

However, I have some questions about the diodes/rectifiers specified in the WORKSHOP document.

Much as I like supporting Markus and Marotronics, shipping via DHL PAKT from Berlin to the U.S. costs in excess of 50 Euros, and takes more than a week for packages to arrive.

Hence, I am looking to build the board on perforated board, and use US hobbyist electronics suppliers (e.g. Digikey or Mouser electronics) for the parts. I am having trouble finding US suppliers for the BY500 diode/rectifier part, but am able to buy what I think might be equivalently specified parts. Could someone more familiar with electronics parts than I (a mere geophysicist) please have a look at the Rectron FR303 (200V 3A 150ns) diode (data sheet attached below) and offer advice about whether these diodes would be suitable replacements for the BY500 specified in the WORKSHOP document?

Also, while I believe that Google Translate is accurately telling me that I need protector circuitry for all 3 motors (two drive, and one mowing), could someone please confirm that directly? In other words, I need to build 3 copies of the protector circuitry...

Many thanks again to all for their efforts in this project!
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/1725/fr301-307-35121.pdf/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Hi Frank,
about your questions:
"please have a look at the Rectron FR303 (200V 3A 150ns) diode (data sheet attached below) and offer advice about whether these diodes would be suitable replacements for the BY500 specified in the WORKSHOP document?"

The FR305 Diode is a better replacement for BY500.

"Also, while I believe that Google Translate is accurately telling me that I need protector circuitry for all 3 motors (two drive, and one mowing), could someone please confirm that directly? In other words, I need to build 3 copies of the protector circuitry..."

Yes it's true. You need the Protector circuit for all three Engines (2x Drive, 1x Mow). But you need only two Protector-Board PCB's

Regards

Jürgen

As promised, here is the workshop document run through Google Translate into English, and only very slightly cleaned up where the context made things clear.

As with my last translation, the original German text is preserved, and the English translations are attached as notes in the PDF.

Sorry it took longer than I had hoped, but life intervened! ;-)
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/1725/WORKSHOPProtector-Board.pdf/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Oben