Large electrolytic capacitors on PCB 1.4

markor

I again fail to see why the big capacitors have been rotated 90 degrees on the new PCB 1.4. First of all you can't even solder them without shaping the legs on Z-like shape because there is no room for them. They can also not be secured to the PCB when standing the new way. I hope the capacitor legs are long enough so I can hook them up like I'm doing with all the PCB1.3's. I guess it's not intended, but will not make any harm ether if I orient and secure them like this, to take the vibrations etc off from the legs?

IMG_20220523_200802.jpg

Hello @markor,
please have a look to the Ardumower_Mainboard_V1.4_Assembly_Instruction at chapter 26. The large capacitors (electrolytic capacitors).
You can fix them with a smal dot of hot glue between PCB and capacitor.
Please do not install the capacitors is you are using the brushless motor drivers.

First of all you can't even solder them without shaping the legs on Z-like shape because there is no room for them.
Why is it not possible to solder the capacitors? You can solder them on the opposite side (in this case the front side).

Best regards,
Sven

@sven Thanks again for the super fast reply! This time I did read the manual, but wanted to share my "tips" and to discuss this futher.

I used to hot glue these capacitors with a large dots of hot glue. Having operated multiple robots for past few years I have learned that the hot glue will always give out in the long run. Not just on these capacitors, but in general hot glue is not as good as it sounds in the long run (years). May be capacitor could stay a bit better when they have been rotated 90 degrees, but still have some doubts.

I think I'm still going to orientate them like they were in PCB 1.3 and fasten them shake free with 2 pieces of plastic tube and punch of cable ties. I will share how it works out later.

I mean this about not having room to install without twisting the legs on Z-shape.
PCB14LargeCapacitors.PNG

Oben