L298N question

I am currently building my electronics and I am using two L298N driver boards. I saw this picture where you have to connect both bridges together as in this picture. http://wiki.ardumower.de/index.php?title=Datei:L298driver.jpg I am going to try to use four drive motors in my build and my question is this driver board capable of driving 4 motors and if not how can I overcome this problem. Also why is the modification to the board needed? Is it amperage? Thanks.

d

Each channel of the driver is capable of driving 2A. If your motors need more than 2A, you have to modify the driver, by connecting the 2 channels. Than you can driver one motor with 4A instead 2 motors with 2A. You can also connect 2 motors to one channel or to one modified driver, but this will double the current on the channel / driver. Measure it before connecting, the absolute maximum for this driver is 3A per channel for 0.1 secs ... if it last longer, the driver chip will be damaged, it has no overcurrent protection. Also the chip has no overheat protection and no protection against reverse polarity connection. So avoid to interchange the power supply cables B)

Greets,
Jem

Thanks Jem,

One more question. If my total amps for a single motor is near the total amps for the driver can I have one driver for each of the four motors that I would like to use. If I can how would i add the additional two motors to the schematic. I am good at mechanical things and programing but not so good with electronics. Thanks!!

Dan

Just split the logic-cables for each left and right motors to the front and the rear driver. So they get the same commands on the left side front and rear and the same on the right side front an rear.

Oben