Friendly Robotics RL500 Odometry

nateconq

How many ticks per wheel revolution on the Friendly Robotics RL500?

I have scoured the internet for this information but haven't found anything yet. I see there are some archived posts regarding the RL500 and odometry, lacking any specifics. I apologize that this is probably in the wrong section but English is my only language and I have had so much trouble searching for this information.

I already have everything hooked up and can manually control the RL500 remotely with the ROS platform, Raspberry Pi, Xbox 360 controller, and 'home station' computer. I have also achieved 3D mapping using a Kinect 360 on the RL500 but the visual odometry needs to be accompanied with the hall sensors' odometry for more accuracy.

Thank you so much,
Nathan

Hi.
If i remeber correctly the reduction ratio from motor to Wheel is 60.
There are 2 magnet so it's 120 ticks per rev if you reuse the hall sensor.
I have rebuild a RL1000 and to use the odometry corectly the minimum is for me 720 ticks per rev so you need to make some change .
If you have a 3d printer i can send you the STL file to have a correct odometry with PCB1.3 or other.
Do you use PCB1.3 ?
Can you share some picture on the Mapping and kinect360 management ?

Thank you!! Yes I am reusing the hall sensors. Yes absolutely I should be able to send pictures this weekend. It is definitely not an attractive set up but my goal has been to get it running first, worry about appearances later.

I read somewhere that the rl500s hall sensor magnets are actually one of each pole, so it requires a full motor shaft rotation to move sensor from the high/low position. Will report back findings.

Hello, i have the same Problem with a Robomow RL1000 chassis. I measured Out a Ratio of 66 per Wheel turnover, but maybe its a mistake and the 60 from Bernard are correct. I use the PCB 1.3 and theres a minimum odometrie divider of 2 so i disconnected the two pins between pcb 1.3 and the arduino and connected the Original sensors directly. And its definately only one signal by one turnarount of the motor. I changed the Code for the Interrupts from "RISING" to "CHANGE" to get double of Signals. So now in my code i have 132 Ticks per Revolution. In the motor.cpp ich changed the Intervall for calculating the Odometrie from 50ms to 200ms.

At the End iam not sure if i will be Lucky by using the Original Sensors. But actually i have no 3D Printer and iam not so friendly with mechanical changes at that Point... And right now i could not test that Configuration really. When i drive it with the Smartphone App with the Actual Sunray Firmware it looks good, but at slow Speed
and slow turns the drive is a bit rough...

Do you already tried it and find Out if its working? Does someone has a suggestion? Try it or change it? Can someone provide Parts to change it?
Here a Picture of my Prototype from yesterday...

Best regards, Lars

Anhänge

• IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    766,3 KB · Aufrufe: 31
I Don't know exactly how Sunray manage the Odometry
But:
When you reduce the duration from 50 to 200ms.
You need to check how the Odometry PID compute .
If the PID loop is refresh each 50 ms it's read 4 times the same odometry value and can't compute correctly.It's certainly why it can work at low speed
You need to check everywhere in the code where the Odometry is use, understand why and adjust code or check with alexander to define a minimum ticks/cm to use sunray correctly.

If the mower use RTK/GPS maybe the IMU Heading and data from GPS can solve the odometry issue:) but it's also possible that Alexander use the IMU and Odometry to Drive when GPS is in Floating mode :(.

I've been playing with my rl500 and it seems to require a decent amount of current to even register the ticks from hall sensors. What voltage are you using to supply your hall sensors in the rl1000?

on my test platform i also get about 105 pulses per wheelturn (after the /x2 divider). anybody figured it out how to do this in azurit to work smoothly ?
odometry is absolutely needed for perimeter tracking or it can work without it ?

thanks

Can anyone tell me what voltage you are sending to the factory hall sensors? I am using 5v from a DC-DC PSU but am having some issues. May or may not be because of the voltage.

Oben