Cutting blade question

alda

Hi,
Now main part of the mower is done. All motors are on place and now I'm working on the bumpers ( other than in the ardumower project ) and on the cutting blade. What is the idea for cutting blade - metal disc with short blades or long blades ? The blades are firmly bolted to the disc or can move ( damage protection ) ? Any high adjustment ?

What is your solution ?

Thanks

Alex

Hi,

I prefer the blade system of the Husqvarna Automower, its free wheeling plate saves a lot of power of the mower motor and helps to protect the blades if hitting an obstacle.
See here: Patent Automower

In the next days I will provide photos of my DIY solution in "Mähwerk"

BR!

I made the discs of aluminium. Has the advantage that it bends and doesn't break to pieces when the blades hit something hard. At least I couldn't find suitable plastic. Discs are 200mm diameter.
Blades are about 5cm long, originally for carpet cutting knives.

Hi
Thank you for your answer and your instruction in german section. One additional question is, what is thickness of the aluminium disc. I'm thinking about 3mm, but maybe it's too much ( too robust ), but 2mm can be very soft and can bend very easy.

Alex

Hi,

my disc is less than 1mm tick. And yes, it does bend easily. It lasts about 3 chrashs (solar lamps, thick wood) then it needs replacement
There were 3 reasons for this thin disc:
- this alu plate was available at a nearby store :)
- without special tools it would take me days to saw a disc out of a thick plate
- the complete weight of the blade system gets on the motor axis, and a typical dc motor is not built for high axial loads.

I just think about partial strenghtening of the disc where the blade screws are mounted, this is currently the weak point of this design. For example add 2x10x20mm alu plate to support the screw fixations.

Ok, thank you gor your answer. What is strange for me is, that solar lamp will damage cutting disc. You are running without bumpers ?
So I will check 1mm ALU if it's ok for me.

Alex

It was a stainless steel solar lamp, the tube cut up, plastic parts destroyed. My first mower had only narrow rods connected to micro switches as bumpers, the lamp (and other stuff) missed to hit the bumper (higher/lower than bumper rod, or in the 5mm gap between 2 rods...).
My next genereation mower had then a cover that's moveable in all directions and activates the switches (now hall sensors).
If you go on my web site you can see pics of my mower, the cover goes down very deep almost touching the lawn on the side. With this it's possible to detect obstacles, no matter if in front, side, back. The only dead points are in area of the front wheels where the cover is cut out to allow the wheels to rotate, thats the last weak point and the back wheels, were it is unlikely to hit someting.

Oben