Connection via Xbee => Particle Filtering on PC?

woody

Hi all,

Frequently reading, rarely posting, I have a few thoughts about the ardumower.

I've been experimenting with Xbee (on ardunio, not the ardumower).
I've seen the pilots about particle filtering.
I know the computing-limitations of ardunio.

My thoughts:
Would it be nice / possible to connect an Xbee to the ardumower (pin 0/RX and 1/TX are not used..)
This way movement information (compas / direction, odometry-data, etc) can be sent to the Xbee (LONG DISTANCE, > 50 meters, through brick walls etc.)
A PC with Xbee connection can do the calculations, for example in processing like shown in the pilots.

This way it should even be possible to have two separate perimeter-wires, and move the ardumower between two perimeter-areas.

Via Xbee it would even be possible to switch on / off the perimeters on arrival / departure of the ardumower..

I am not thoroughly familiar with the coding of the Ardumower. Digging into the code, I found that it is "not allowed" to use "Serial", but I would not mind losing the bluetooth connection, and substituting this with a PC-connection (Xbee).

Any thoughts about this?

Kind regards,

Woody

Hi,

I'm doing like you describe in Sunray (http://www.ardumower.de/index.php/en/forum/software/827-ardumower-software-sunray), except that I'm using Bluetooth. In the first video the particle filter still runs on the Arduino Mega, in the later videos there, it runs on the PC.

Regards,
Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your fast reply.
Your project looks great. Is there any way I can download the software? It is not on the GITHUB-site, is it?

I am really looking to dive into this. I will give it a try to replace the bluetooth with the Xbee, as the Xbee can communicate with multiple devices (Xbees), over long distances.

My garden is "kind of large", with multiple lawns. It would be great if I could sent the ardumower from one area to the other..

Kind regards,

Woody

I've attached my code to the first Sunray forum post. Note it's nothing complete, the filter works very poor outdoor. Problem is that driven direction is not sensed direction (you can see it in the last video).

Thank you, could not find it / did not notice..

With regard to direction / positioning:
I recently bought the pozyx-system (www.pozyx.io). Works like a charm with ardunio. Although it does a very good 3D-orientation, the localisation-function is not working that stable => not suitable for out-door / mowing / ardumower..

Works inside rather well. Accurate within about 10-30 cm. But the anchors must be in line of seight, max 4-6 meters away.. The recent firmware-update did not make it much more stable..

However, possibly it is a good solution for 3D-orientation (heading , acceleration etc.)

Oben