Brush-less motor driver V1.0 not working

Holmis

Hi.

I have a brush-less ArduMower Motor Driver V1.0 for the mower motor that is not working.
I have borrowed a board and then the motor is working. But I notice the controller chip is getting warm so my finger hurt when i hold on top. Can someone confirm that their chip is getting warm too? See attached images to identify which chip I am talking about.

I get the following error messages:
Error: motor mow fault
resetMotorFaultCounter 12
ERROR: motor recovery failed

I believe the grey cable connected to Contr. In was loose at the time, and it smelled a bit burnt right before the Motor Driver stopped working.
I do not see any burnt components, and the fuse measures 0,1 ohm across it.
Any tips for where to look for fault?

//Jostein

Anhänge

• Chip.png
    Chip.png
    2,4 MB · Aufrufe: 14
I cannot tell you anything about the board. But a chip must never be so warm, that you cannot touch it. As far as I know, standard chips should never get warmer than 85 degree Celsius. As soon as it smells, then it is probably broken.
Others have reported here that it would matter, which wire is connected to U, V, and W. It seems to be different compared to 400V three-phase current motor, where it does not matter (except the rotation direction).

Hello @Holmis ;
yes, the chip and the MOSFETs get worm, Working Temp. is up to 150°C!
Pls. check is the fuse 3,5A is blown. What kind of motor did you use?

1621716001660.png

OK, please check the motor coils, they should have ~ 1ohm or less, if so connect motor & HAL and power up the driver with 20-30V .
Mesure the power for the HAL sensors (+, GND) this should be ~5V

It will be also helpfull if you can make a photo of the act. driver & Motor connection.

1621722469219.png

OK, please check the motor coils, they should have ~ 1ohm or less, if so connect motor & HAL and power up the driver with 20-30V .
Mesure the power for the HAL sensors (+, GND) this should be ~5V

It will be also helpfull if you can make a photo of the act. driver & Motor connection.
Hi.
I power up the board with 27,5V. But on HAL +,- I have 0V.

Anhänge

• 20210523_064545.jpg
    20210523_064545.jpg
    1,5 MB · Aufrufe: 23
OK, that is not good. Then the charge pump is gone by the reverse power. If you are familar with SMD soldering, you may can change the IC but it is better to order a new one.

OK, that is not good. Then the charge pump is gone by the reverse power. If you are familar with SMD soldering, you may can change the IC but it is better to order a new one.
Can you please provide the details for the charge pump. Since it is sold out for theese boards at the shop, I will try to change the charge pump my self.

Thank you very much for your help 😀

charge pump is not a part, it is a function of the driver IC. You have ot exchange the DRV8308. But you can't change it with a soldering iron, you need a hot plate and / or air soldering station.
But Markus is awaiting the next drivers, soon.

charge pump is not a part, it is a function of the driver IC. You have ot exchange the DRV8308. But you can't change it with a soldering iron, you need a hot plate and / or air soldering station.
But Markus is awaiting the next drivers, soon.
Okey, then I will order a board as soon as it is available 😉 Thanks again!

Hi. Now the second motor driver for the mow motor is burned, this time it is not a doubt that it is DRV8808 that is burned, see attached image. 😥

I have now mowed for about 6 hours without any issues. I am sure that this is not a short circuit/wire that have been close to it. Any idea why this happens? Anyone else had a problem with this?

Both Motor driver boards was ordered with the 2021 brushless kit. So should be the correct OTP.

I still have the two 2200uF condensators on the PCB 1.4, can this be part of the problem?

Anhänge

• 20210527_203911.jpg
    20210527_203911.jpg
    1,7 MB · Aufrufe: 22
I have a battery with 25,2 nomminal voltage and a 29,4V charger. So should not be any more than 29,4V at any time. The Sunray app showed 25V when it happend.

I just changed to orginal settings on the motor.cpp. Earlier I had pwmMaxMow = 180, but changed it back to original 255. Both motor driver burned when it was at 255. Could this be the reason?

// Jostein

no, with software you can't burn the driver. You must have somthing connected wron, like 29V on HAL power

You can see the cables on the image, can you confirm that this is correct connection? The HAL is only coming from the motor that came with the kit.

What I can see, the cable are connected right.
The melt connector, marked 1 and 2 is coil V out, going to the MOSFET and the main power in (3)
Check the motor coils, if they have a short -circuit. I don't know what has happend, normaly the fuse will blow if the current is >3.5A
Somehow the main power must be com reverse into the circuit
1622152055504.png

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
You wrote you powered the driver with 27,5V. But on HAL +,- I have 0V. This could damage the circuit and maybe result in such a picture.

I have 0,9 ohm between all motor phases: U-V, V-W and U-W.

I have not meassured the HAL +,- after I switched board, but now after it is burned it is 0V.

The 3,5A fuse is also blown.

Oben