Beginner Question on Lead Acid batteries?

alanf79

Hi,
I am hoping to start building my Ardumower soon and i have a question on batteries. I have 2 12v 7Ah lead batteries that i would like to use
to reduce cost but i am concerned about weight. The combined weight of the batteries is 5kg and the overall weight of my project will be aprox 10kg.
Is this too heavy? has anybody successfully used lead batteries in their project? will the Ardumower motors be powerful enough to drive around(my lawn is flat)? I am hoping the higher capacity batteries of 24V 7Ah ran in parallel will help overcome the extra weight.

I would appreciate any thoughts or help on this please.
Thanks,
Alan

It depends on the bearing. I don't know at the moment, which bearing are used. I remember that if there is a ball bearing installed in the gear, than you can have a radial force of 8Kg. If there is a sliding bearing installed, the radial force should only be 5Kg. Maybe someone knows, which bearing is installed. The more radial force you have, the less is the lifetime of the gear.

I just found it: http://www.ardumower.de/index.php/de/forum/dies-und-das/940-wheel-motor-belastung#9303
Looks like, there is a ball bearing installed.:) But keep in mind, the value is for 10mm from flange.

My Tianchen Ardumower Mod also uses two 12V 7Ah lead acid batteries in series. Sure, I'm still using the Tianchen chassis and motors but the overall weight ist approx. 8kg.
In my opinion, you shouldn't run in any trouble. But you should bear in mind, that 2x 12V needs a lot of room inside the chassis. Also you must ensure the balance of weight. So don't place the batteries too far away or too close from/to main axis.

Oben