Ardusimple Alternative

I read many stuff about this both module in open mower discord server. It should work. I‘m interested on Ardumower solution.
 
I took a look at the skytraq NMEA parser in sunray. There are PSTI30 and PSTI32 Messages which other GPS modules dont have.
These are used for: dgpsAge(Stats.cpp,comm.cpp), numSVdgps(comm.cpp), relPosN, relPosE, relPosD(StateEstimator.cpp-not needed in absolute mode).

I think I need to find another solution for dgpsAge and numSVdgps.
Everything else should work with standard NMEAmessages GGA GSA GSV RMC

I already have a Um982 module, but didnt try it yet in my mower
 
Hi,
I am working on an alternative RTK solution and looking for the NMEA output of the Skytraq receiver (aktivated in config.h) for sunray.
Can anyone help and send me the needed output as txt file?
I have attached an example wich is not working with sunray unfortunately even it is NMEA standard.
2nd part: On ublox I can see that there are correction data sent back from the rover to the GPS module. Will the Skytrq option in config.h/sunray send back data to the rover module too, e.g. NTRIP/base station correction data - if yes, I need this output too.
 
If you use NMEA message ,you don't have dgpsAge and numSVdgps , but it's not mandatory to have a perfect working mower.
Most important is the RTK FIX and perfect same location over time (Same docking position after 1 year for example)
 
Hi @bernard,
the receiver supports DGPS-Age & numSVdgps, that is not the roblem.
After getting the drives runing, now I would like to get GPS up to work.
As describe, I have a serial GPS module, connected to Rasberry using UART3.
The PI does receive the NMEA messages. I can see them if I monitor the UART port, but I don´t get the position at the frontend (grauonline or cassandra).
How can I debug/check this?

(I would like to use NTRIP to send correction data to the GPS module in the end.)
 
„In case anyone is experimenting with LC29HEA...“
We are working on an alternative project that uses the Quectel LC29HEA GNSS module.
To make it work, we need to connect the LC29H to an NTRIP caster to receive RTK corrections.
For this purpose, we are using an ESP32 module, and the corresponding code can be found in the esp32_rtk folder.
(Sorry, the comments are currently in Estonian.)

The Sunray codebase has been extended with an LC29H driver that parses NMEA messages, which should be compatible with the existing Sunray code.
We tried to modify the Skytraq driver, but that didn’t work out — and as far as we understand, it’s not actually possible for the LC29HEA module.

Additional documentation for configuring the LC29HEA as both a base station and a rover can be found in the doc folder.
The updated parts required to make it work are located in sunray/config.h and sunray/src/lc29h.

The esp32_ble project has also been adjusted to work better with VSCode (it now compiles cleanly).
Since the LC29H communicates using standard NMEA sentences, this approach should be much more universal and compatible with other systems.

We also implemented support for the LC29H and ESP32 reboot command: AT+Y2.

 
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Like
Reaktionen: iwl
That would be nice. But how do you connect the module? To achieve an RTK fix, you need RTCM data from an NTRIP caster.
Our goal was to get it working specifically in combination with a robot mower based on the STM32F103ZED6.


We are using this module
Screenshot 2025-10-25 at 11.00.13.png
 
  • Like
Reaktionen: iwl
That would be nice. But how do you connect the module? To achieve an RTK fix, you need RTCM data from an NTRIP caster.
Our goal was to get it working specifically in combination with a robot mower based on the STM32F103ZED6.


We are using this module
Anhang anzeigen 8155


Code is for teensy platform ; it's here select LC29HEA branch

1761384807273.png


You can simply copy and past all the skytrack folder into your code.

But the main change is line 246 into skytrack.cpp
Code:
if (!stream->available()) return;
  while (stream->available()) {
There is a bug in the while condition , you need to remove the ! :ROFLMAO:

I use my own station (no NTRIP at my location) it's LC29HBS module
Data are send between rover and station using 2 ESP32
Station wiring
1761385322476.png
Rover wiring:
1761385391836.png
 
Thanks we will dry it. We are also using own Base station based on https://github.com/Stefal/rtkbase which running on Orange Pi (one Orange Pi PC 2 and other pi zero 3) both running debian 12. LC29HEA's are in rover and base. We obtained and fixed the coordinates of the base station using the local ESTPOS. I am currently publishing them to rtk2go to test for correctness.
 
@bernard @argoso great job getting the LC29HEA module running!

If I want to convert my mower from AzuritBer to Sunray I just need a LC29HEA + antenna + ESP32, NTRIP data and exchange the skytrack folder in the Sunray code?
Am I understanding this correctly or is something missing?
 
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Im still using the Due, but as already mentioned above I will try to exchange the skytraq folder and give it a try.
What do you mean with not very accurate? How much does it differ from the u-blox module?
 
Using Ublox mower is always very accurate (+/- 4 cm) ,so the docking is always OK.
Using LC29Hea i thing it's also OK (+/- 4cm) 80 % of the time, but sometime it's (+/- 10cm),so docking can fail :(.
You can see this behaviour at the beginning of this video record is normaly on the border.

 
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I'm going to test the UM980/UM982 as I have no RTK fix on areas with wood land, and the 5 frequency bands maybe can help here...? (at least I get the impression e.g. from videos like these that it could work much better with 5 frequencies in those woodland areas? )


I'm going to use a multiband u-blox ANN-MB2-00 antenna as it covers all those frequencies...

Screenshot 2026-09-23 at 06.47.33.png
For the RTK correction data, I'm going to either use GEPOS/SAPOS correction data (preferred - if it provides all those frequencies) or another UM980/982 as base station.

Please make any comments or suggestions what I should also try (any better RTK receivers than UM980?) in challenging areas like woodland :) ...
 
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Oben