Raspberry Pi instead of Arduino

SebastianLoos

Hello everybody,

after a while it got disappointed by my Worx Landroid mowing robot. My garden is very small and has lots of narrow “caves” between trees, toys for the kids etc. And the kids don’t like to remove all their stuff every evening.
I fear that GPS won’t really work for me, the garden is enclosed by buildings that will probably reflect the signal. Therefore I thought about using a cheap LIDAR Scanner or stereo cameras for SLAM. Years ago I have worked on that area and I remember that it consumed lots of computational power. Probably much more than an Arduino can offer.

Now my question: Would it be possible to use a Raspberry Pi instead of a Arduino? It would offer WiFi and a “bigger” CPU. Or is this impossible because of real time requirements for the ardumower?

Sebastian

Or is this impossible because of real time requirements for the ardumowe
For me It's difficult to manage perimeter wire or Odometry or bumper at high speed with Pi
The DUE or ESP32 with fast interrupt cycle is better but certainly a cheaper solution than PCB1.3 is maybee possible using ESP32,I-BT2 driver,Pi. Etc...

Thank you for your reply. I found https://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/archives/2016/04/measuring_interrupt_response_times/ that clearly shows the interrupt response times. If the figures are correct, the Arduino is below 20 us, the Raspberry around 300 us. In my eyes this should be fast enough for bumpers. But of course it won’t be sufficient for e.g. brushless motor control. And, I guess that these figures only apply for infrequent interrupts. Otherwise the overall performance will be probably poor because of context switching.
And it might be that the number of GPIO triggered interrupts is limited.

Is nobody around here who uses a Raspberry for the ardumower?

regards,
Sebastian

Oben