Perimeter sender: weird voltage/current state

romualdas

After assembling perimeter sender I have performed tests in room (5m wire + 2x5Ohm resistors), then have setup trial (250m wire (4Ohm) on the ground + 1x6Ohm resistor) outside.
Tests were successful in the fact that perimeter was registered by receiver and robot behaved as expected.
During both tests, if I would increase the voltage ~ above total resistance of wire and resistor(s), perimeter sender would stop working (1A protection of MC33926 would kick-in?) and yellow LED would blink.
Then I installed final (ok, I have changed couple of times since the first installation) wire setup:
- ~1cm in the ground
- ~300+ m with wire resistance ~6Ohm
- Initially I have added 40W 6Ohm resistor
- and setup output voltage on LM2596S to 11V

After that signal was very-very weak on the robot. To my big amazement, when I increased voltage to 16V and 24V not only signal did not disappear (yellow LED would not start blinking), but actually got registered by robot.
I tried to remove resistor and perimeter started working as it did before.
For a moment I thought that voltage on the perimeter is different, but I got osci from a friend and checked the voltage and signal on the output.
At that moment: there was 12V for 6Ohm wire resistance (attached image, measurement cable had 10x multiplier).

Settings for the perimeter sender are the following:
USE_PER_FAULT 1
USE_PERI_CURRENT 1
USE_POT 0
USE_CHG_CURRENT 1

So, even the perimeter is working, the question is:
What is going on?
What should I check?

Hi romualdas,

the maximum voltage for the Nano is 7-12V.
Mabe you destroyed it now.

"1A protection of MC33926"
I don't think so. It can handle 3A.
Maybe the LM2596S stops to work or the charger who can handle only 1.5A and recognise a shortcut?

How strong is your perimeter magnetude 15cm away form the perimeter wire inside the loop? I read here in the forum, that 1900 could be reached.

"What is going on? What should I check?"
I don't really understand the problem now. Is the signal working but too weak?

When I was testing with 250m wire (on the ground, covering ~ 80% territory) with resistor and voltage set to 10V (current less than 1A) - I was getting decent signal throughout the field.
After changing the wire, if I'd use resistor and appropriate voltage (e.g. 12V) - signal is very weak even close to the wire.
Without the resistor and with voltages ~12-16V, perimeter signal is registered and received throughout the field and it reaches even 2500 near the wire.

In other words, I have a perimeter that is functioning, but using weird setup:
- Only wire installed (no resistors in line) - ~5Ohm
- LM2596S is set to 14V
I'm referring to http://wiki.ardumower.de/index.php?title=Perimeter_sender_(English), where it says: "Adjust the potentiometer so that not more than 1 Ampere current flows." In my case it it would be ~3A.

The main question: why the difference between test and final wire install?

Regarding Arduino Nano: it works and according to https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-nano - it should be able to handle up to 20V, but I guess the recommended voltage is up to 12V.

It might be that everything is Ok, it is just different from the setup during initial tests and from the info that is available in wiki.

I have just attached to the perimeter sender, updated software (set USE_POT to 1 and ROBOT_OUT_OF_STATION_TIMEOUT_MINS to 720) and took the measures:
- DC-DC voltage: 13.6V
- Perimeter resistance: 4.5Ohm (shortened wire a bit recently)

Some screenshots attached.
One shows the pfod app, where the mower is furthest from wire, another - near it.

Any thoughts, comments, feedback.
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/4472/log-output.PNG/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
I think it is normal, that when you bury the wire, that the signal is lower than normal. And it will get more worse when it is raining.
I just test my software because of changes in the firmware. Therfore I have time and just soldered a new sender today, at which I want to increase the voltage of the perimeter signal for testing if i get a better receive at the reciever..
I will test in the future the following:
I adjust the voltage of the sender to 9V. Then I will disconnect the Vin and GND of the MC33926. The MC33926 should not have any contact of the motor output to the sender PCB. Then I use another external powersupply which supports 5A for example and up to 30V. I connect this to Vin and GND of the MC33926. I don't go over 20V becaue 50AC is dangerous.

Burned 2 DC-DC converters :(
Figured out that they don't handle above 2A current well for longer periods of time.

Anyway, I've updated the perimeter. Before, I had kinder playground exclusion zone, because the mower could get stuck there.
After fixing the environment/playground I removed the exclusion zone (had a difficulty exiting it while tracking home anyway) and noted that perimeter signal improved even with lower voltages and resistor in series with wire.
And the perimeter is now basically a U shaped area ~1000sqm of cutting area.
So far, it looks good now :)

Also, a little side note (unrelated, but might be useful for others):
While experimenting with the perimeter I mixed up polarity on sender and mower was reporting outside, while it was inside the perimeter.
I thought I will use pfodApp to set `Swap coil polarity` to *Yes*.
After changing the setting mower was reporting inside, but for some reason perimeter signal was very weak.
After changing polarity on sender and setting `Swap coil polarity` to *No* everything went back to normal.

Oben