Inquiry about project capabilities

phuriousgeorge

Hello, I've been stalking the forums, wiki and github for awhile now trying to determine the configuration and capabilities of the ardumower project compared with my needs and conceptual ideas I've been working. I recently identified a bit of information on the wiki that has me concerned with attempting to use 'supported' configurations.

I have 5 acres of land of which I only mow about 2 - 2.5 acres (8094 - 10117m2). I know with the random patterns of most robotic mowers out there, my only solution would be to split my property up in sub-sections and run multiple mowers. With the software enhancements I've seen that are in-progress with ardumower, I was hoping that the 'lane mowing' and positional tracking enhancements of Sunray could assist with efficiency, therefore allowing a small mower to handle a much larger area, even perhaps enhance later with scheduling the same mower to handle sub-portions of my lawn on certain days.

Unfortunately yesterday I read on the wiki that the perimeter wire maximums are a distance of 1476ft (450m) and area of .25 acres (1000m2). Is this a hard-stop, or is there hope for applying ardumower to my property?

I've been working through multiple concepts prior to finding the ardumower project and I am pleased and excited by it's progress and maturity. I've enjoyed the multiple documented experiments using various methods of positional tracking AlexanderG has been working with and glad he disproved their feasibility prior to me wasting my time on them :)

I've attached an image of my mowed property with measurements. Please let me know your thoughts. I'd much rather invest more money into a single robot that can handle my whole property than buy or build multiple if feasible.
Property.png

Also, does anyone have experience with using their ardumower in high temperature environments? I'm from Texas, USA so temperatures easily reach over 100F (37C) during a few months of the year.

Hello Phuriousgeorge,

I am not using the Ardumower software only the hardware. Therefore I answer some questions on my experiance what I think it could be right.
In 2013 I build a lawn mower robot which uses an oscillating circuit for the perimeter wire. In this case the mower does't know in the middle of the field if there is an perimeter signal. He only realised this if the mower is near the perimeter. But with the matched filter it is much better. You can see if your inside or outisde. The problem for this is, you can lost the signal on a big area but you can handle this with a timer like the ardumower software do. In this case best is you have a fence around your property. Another problem is the perimeterwire. This is long and probably you need much current to bring it to work. But when temprature is hot and then later cold don't forget that the copper extends and contracts. You have to plan this. When you have a broken wire at this length you get lost. Search for Big Mow on Youtube. They have some really great ideas. For example they have a plastic pipe around two perimeter wires. Furterhmore they have a metal house around the electronic. On such a big area you are not able to use the ardumower chassis. You have to build your own big one or buy a professional one - my opinion. And don't think strategic mowing is better - it only saves time which is not important for a machine only if you want save some money regarding current and wear. The less electronic you have the more stabel your mower is and it is easier to find an error.

at:1.14 is the cable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpreX7yA26Y

Hi Phuriousgeorge,
Have you advanced on your project?
I am a little like you with a large field to mow.
I started my plans for an ardumower, Or even 2 for 5000m².
Maybe the signal can be boost To increase the surface?

Oben