how to solve "ERROR: Motor M fault" ?

robind

I have loaded the Raindancer firmware on my mower, and I'm getting my first weekend days using it for cutting.

I'm having persistent issues with it turning off the mow motor.
Eventually, the ArduMower stops with an "ERROR: Motor M fault" message. (usually while cutting some taller grass...but not too tall...only like 4 inches)

I've read in the Raindancer wiki page that I'm supposed to disconnect M1OUT1/M1OUT2 so that the sensor is able to better read the consumed amps of the motor
I have bent disconnected the M1OUT1/M1OUT2 pins, and though the `mot.curm` measurement appears to have much higher watt values now....this isn't stopping the "ERROR: Motor M fault" message from occurring frequently.

I've found a good reference sheet. But I haven't been able to figure out much.

Questions:
- Is the "Motor M fault" caused by the M33926 latching LOW the SF output for either of the 2 outputs? (I think that is true, based on the schematic)
- What configuration and/or hardware changes can I make to stop the system from having "Motor M fault" ? Should I slow down the motor max speed, or the speed of the drive wheels? or something else?
- Does the mowing motor need to use both channels of the M33926? Why not only using 1 of the 2?
- How should I go about measuring the Amp draw of the mower? Clamping my Ammeter over the positive wire doesn't seem to do much (I don't get much difference in readings when the motor is idle, vs under load). Should I compare this with

Any advice about what to do here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I un-bent the M1OUT1/M1OUT2 pins, plugged them back in, and put the mower back onto the lawn, and it hasn't had a "Motor M fault" as frequently.
I guess I'll keep this configuration for a little while....I'll see what happens.

More testing, more learning.

Having fun, welcoming input.

Thanks

My M1OUT1M1OUT2 are not bend either. I mow with Raindancer firmware on my own chassis with 3 mow motors without any trouble. After some Mow Motor Errors in the beginning, i raised the value for MotorMowPowerMax in mowmotorSensor.h and the values for CONF_MOW_MOT_UNDER_HEAVY_LOAD in config.h.
ATTENTION: you can frie the Motor Driver - small steps at a time, and everything on your own risk.

An update: I had the ArduMower running a lot yesterday, and no Mower errors....so I guess "not bending the pins" is the way I'll leave it for now.

Hi, i have the same problem if i using two mowing motors. WOLODK how much raised the value for MotorMowPowerMax?

How should I go about measuring the Amp draw of the mower? Clamping my Ammeter over the positive wire doesn't seem to do much (I don't get much difference in readings when the motor is idle, vs under load). Should I compare this with
It's not easy to read the sense at the output of the driver because the PWM signal is here.
You need to read the sense on the input of the driver and here also the PWM can disturb the signal.

Hi, i have the same problem if i using two mowing motors. WOLODK how much raised the value for MotorMowPowerMax?
I raised the MotorMowPowerMax to 80. That was enough for my setup.
It depends, of course, on the motors you are using - mine are 2x GR42x25 and 1x GR42x40 from Dunkermotor.
If you want to use bigger motors, it might be necessary with a different motor driver. I am not sure, but it looks like that Raindancer also supports Sabertooth drivers - at least i can find these in the source code, but i am not a Software Ninja.

Oben