Engine

Hello Jesper,

Probably, the easiest would be to find a complete chassis with motors of an broken/old robot mower (e.g. at eBay).

If you want to build the chassis with motors yourself, you could use similar motors as in the currently developed Ardumower chassis ( details here ).

Wheel motors
minimum 1,2 Nm torque
minimum 22 RPM

Mowing motor
minimum 40W
minimum 3200 RPM

For the prototype, we did use ' GMPD/404980-1 ' motors (4 Nm, 22 RPM, gear 210:1, 12V) from Pollin .
For the mower motor, we did use a 24V/2A brushless motor from an old laser printer (e.g. Nidec 302G631010 ).

Finding a source for a proper (low-priced) motor isn't easy... (we are still trying out different motors - currently, we are trying out 14:1 geared stepper motors as they may give feedback about wheel rotation which is useful for odometry)

Regards,
Alexander

Hi Alexander

In the schematics for the Ardumower, I can see that the wheel motor drivers are fed by the 24V battery, but the GMPD/404980 -1 are only 12V motors. Does the PWM software ensure the motors don't get more than 12V?

Kind regards,
Rene

Hello Rene,

Yes, if using 24V supply voltage for the motor driver, you can limit the voltage to supply voltage/2 (=12V) by setting the maximum PWM value in the robot config:

int motorSpeedMax = 127; // set max. motor voltage to motor driver supply voltage/2

Alternatively, you only connect 12V to the motor driver supply voltage (and not 24V).

Regards,
Alexander

Hi,

at this moment I'm using other type of motor, but I want switch to GMPD/404980-1 from Pollin, but on this motor is special output shaft ( hole ). Is there any drawing for any simple adapter for this shaft ?

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

I used a 6x6mm square profile as well. Had to hone it down a bit, but it works fine.
motor.jpg

Ciao, Heiner
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/1209/motor.jpg/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
As far as I know it's a Quadlock-1379217-3 connector.
I didn't have such a connector, so I used standard female blade terminals instead (think it was 2,8 mm). Works quite well.

Hi,
Yesterday I did new tests with pollin motors and I think that mower speed is too low. I'm using plastic wheel 25cm diameter.
What is your wheel diameter ?

Alex

> Is there any drawing for any simple adapter for this shaft ?

I accidentally found (and bought) another GMPD motor including a shaft on ebay.
The profile is called "KRC Profil". The shafts are called "KRC Profil Steckwelle"
(And no, I didn't pay €41,50 for the Shaft) ;-)

Finding good motors is indeed not so simple and surprisingly expensive.
It seems the quality gearboxes are the expensive part. Also the encoder increases the price. It seems a shame to combine expensive gearboxes with brushed motors; brushless motors would be nicer I think.

Do we feel stepper motors might become the standard in the future?

thanks,
Frederic

Hi,

i think not that the Motor has enought torge for a Mower. Here is an Site about the power of Engins for Roboter's
it is in German:

Getriebemotoren

Here is an site where you can calculate the power you need:
Calculate

But it is for an blank foor, we must take a Faktor of two or three, io think for our Engines.

We must take Motors with more Power, because drive on Lawn has much more resist than drive on blank foor.

Stefan

Oben