Buried Wire Fence

dallaby

I am wondering why you choose 7.8Khz for the buried wire signal..? Is it possible to use say 38Khz.. If so what all would I need to change? Thanks...

Hello Dave,

-A- Why did we choose 7.8 Khz?
1. A lot of China robot mowers use the same frequency (Tianchen, Supoman, and compatibles). So, you can use an existing charger station of them which includes a signal generator of the same frequency.
2. The signal generator should be simple - because it's simple, it generates a simple square wave signal with multiple harmonics waves. That means it generates not only the 7.8 Khz main wave but also additional waves:

7.8 Khz - 1st harmonic wave (100% amplitude)
15,6 Khz - 2nd harmonic wave (12% amplitude)
23,4 Khz - 3rd harmonic wave (10% amplitude)
31,2 Khz - 4th harmonic wave (9% amplitude)
39 Khz - 5th harmonic wave (8% amplitude)
101,4 Khz - 13th harmonic wave (2% amplitude)

You can see the harmonics in the frequency spectrum (2nd graph) below.

signal5.png

The higher you choose the frequency, the more chances are that your harmonics enter a wide range used frequency (ham radio, radio broadcasting etc.)

We are working on a more complex signal generator that does generate less harmonics.

-B- Can I change the frequency?
You can change the frequency of the signal generator and the resonator amplifier (resistor R and capacitor C) in the sender and in the receiver circuits:

1. Change the frequency of the tone generator in the Arduino sender code:
tone(pinDir, 7800); resonant frequency calculator result: the minimum impendance/resonant frequency is at about 7.8 Khz (7999 Hz)

3. Adjust the capacitor of the receiver's resonator circuit, so that you get a minimum impedance for your choosen coil (or in other words so that the resonator works best at your choosen frequency):

Example (when choosing the original frequency 7.8 Khz and the original L=85 mH coil):
R=10 Ohm (Resistor)
L=85 mH (Coil)
C=0.0047 uF (Capacitor)
=> resonant frequency calculator result: the minimum impendance/resonant frequency is at about 7.8 Khz (7964 Hz)
Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/905/signal5.png/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
OMG ... Thank-you so much for the extremely prompt and very detailed explanation.. I am very impressed with this project.. I have been working on my own mower for the last couple of years and this part of the project really plagued me.. I did have a working version of the transmitter/reciever and it worked well this summer but I feel like this project as a whole is much more detailed and put together.. I will be redesigning my system to utilize this software/hardware..

I do have one more question on the topic.. If the sender is using a 33mH inductor and a .012uF cap for a resonant frequency of 7999Hz .. Why not just use the same inductor and cap for the reciever? Why build a coil to 85mH?

Oben