bumpers

Jürgen engineered an excellent pressure-based universal bumper sensor for the Ardumower complete with PCB, schematics, instruction manual, videos (kit is ready for shopping ). The sensor's sensitivity can be set individually.

It's called the 'BumperDuino' and you can find more information on the Wiki now:
http://wiki.ardumower.de/index.php?title=Bumper_sensor

Hi,
from my point of view is bumper still a weak point, because no general solution.
I spent a lot of time to develop bumper with sensitivity adjustment and also which will not move touched object ( must have a over run ). Now I'm testing last version. If will work correct, I will present.

Alex

Hello

From a safety point of view, the weakness of the pressure sensor is that it only senses on a narrow band at a fixed height which will not always be the right one to detect the small foot of a chid or the fur of an animal. I think that commercial mowers with full body as bumper are safer. Furthermore, as pointed by Alex, a long overrun allows the mower to slow down, if not completely stops, before really pushing with full pressure. On that point too, the pressure sensor, from what I understand of its presentation, might not be the safest solution.
Large, envelopping bumpers with hall sensors that allow longer overrun than switches, still have some future ;)

Jacques

I have just completed the build of the Bumperduino.

I connected the FTDI/usb module to the BumperDuino using all 6 pins . The jumper is connecter to VUSB and I get one green LED
When I come to upload the code I get sync errors reported in the IDE.

Question when the ATMEGA328P-PU chips are purchased from the Ardumower shop is the boot loader burnt onto the chip already or must I do this Or is there another reason why I can not upload to the chip.

When I place the chip in the ic holder it was a little difficult to align all the pins. They do all seem to be in correctly. Is the chip sensitive to static?

Also I have the PCB 1.3 and the bumper connection at P11 has 4 connections

Starting at the outmost pin moving inwards the pins
pin 1 is connected to pin2 so they are ground
pin 3 and 4 read 3.28v

Not sure how this relates to DC 1 and DC2

Question is how do I connect the BumperDuino to the PCB 1.3?

Also where is the 9-12v coming from on the PCB 1.3 to power the BumperDuini? VIN + & -

regards
Max

I just read in the shop that the boot loader is already on the chip.
Question does the board need to be externally powered by 9-12 volts @Vin in addition to the 5 volts supplied by the FTDI with uploading?

ok just fixed the issue
I had crossed tx rx on the FTDI
when I connected tx to tx and rx to rx it uploaded
the code that works for me only contained the bumperduino code and not the sound

Still not sure how to connect this to the 1.3 PCB board

bumperduino1.png

Attachment: https://forum.ardumower.de/data/media/kunena/attachments/1259/bumperduino1.png/

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Hi
The diagram is now very clear. Regarding the power there is a square area on the pcb that has many pins. Rows for gnd, for 5v 3.3 volts and 9volts. I think I need to power the bumperduino from the 9volt from these pins. Other suggestion?

Also when powering not via the ftdi then the jumper need to be move to Vin ie away from VUSB

If I separate the bumper into 2 separate pressure pipes does having 2 separate pressures effect the code ie if the left pressure pipe is triggered the mower turns right and so on?
Thank for your help
Max

Oben