Blade Brushless Motor has stopped working (Not Resolved)

senil

Hello,
After the first tests in the field, I have seen how it has worked really well. He has made the cuts and walked wonderfully. :love:
The big problem and my misfortune is that it got caught on one of the edges of the terrain and after digging with the wheels, the disc must have gotten stuck in the ground and after a few seconds without being able to turn, something must have melted and now nothing turns anymore.

The mower moves correctly, but does not cut or show signs of wanting to turn.
I have tried to make it rotate using the button on the APP but that doesn't work either.

I guess some fuse or component (Drive or Adapter).

As my knowledge of electronics is quite low, I have only been able to verify that there is a 24V current in this area. But it is impossible for me to know where it might have gone wrong.
1679311434954.png

I also don't know if you can give current directly to the motor to see if it turns and rule out that it is something internal inside it.

What points of the Brushless Adapter could I try to look at or perform some test with a current test?

1679311957432.png

I think I'm at an impasse, since there are no controllers or adapters for brushless motors yet, and it seems to me that this will go a long way.

I emphasize that I have little knowledge of electronics and in the forums I see that there is not much that I can try to solve a similar problem.

I feel ashamed because I do nothing but give problems and few solutions to other users.

Thank you very much for your patience.
Best regards.

Do you find 5V on the HAL side? I mean the little red and black cable? If not, then you can check the little green fuse on the buttom side. Is the fuse also ok, then I think you need a new motor driver. You can give me your order number of your Ardumower order, then I can ask Markus.

Do you have installed the protection board between the mow motor and mow motor driver?
Blade Motor Protection – www.wiki.ardumower.de

Hello,
Do you find 5V on the HAL side?
With the mower on and active "MOW IS ON" in the APP, I don't see a 5V current in this area:
1679396007447.png
Should I have voltage here if the motor were running properly?
Do I have to perform any other test?
I attach the log file, where it does not seem to appear any error in the engine. Could this indicate something?

I mean the little red and black cable? If not, then you can check the little green fuse on the buttom side. Is the fuse also ok, then I think you need a new motor driver.
If you mean this fuse:
1679396086763.png

I think it's okay. I have tested it with a multimeter and in sound mode it is heard perfectly.

You can give me your order number of your Ardumower order, then I can ask Markus.
I have two orders, the first with a mower motor:
Your order ID: 6830
The other order came without several parts, one of them without a mower motor, waiting for the controllers and other brushless motor components to arrive, I had already posted a comment on the forums about what I was missing. (https://forum.ardumower.de/threads/news-updates-ardumower.24694/page-2#post-54912):
Your order ID: 6830

Do you have installed the protection board between the mow motor and mow motor driver?
Blade Motor Protection – www.wiki.ardumower.de
I'm afraid not. I must confess that I didn't know if I really needed to install this. There doesn't seem to be much information in the manuals about this modification.
I'm imagining that it may be the reason the engine melted.
I understand that the error is not from the factory and I assume the total cost of a new motor, but since I have to order it, I would like to know if you could send me two motors and I see that the protectors can be ordered in the same store.

I await your confirmation.
Thank you very much as always (y) .
Regards.

Anhänge

• LOG1055.TXT
    13,4 KB · Aufrufe: 2
Hi senil,

the mow motor must not work, but you schould measure the 5V. But you tell me, there are no 5V, then I think the motordriver is defect and you need a new one.

If the motordriver for the wheelmotors the same, then you can use it for a short test. You can also conncet the mowdriver to a wheelmotor for countercheck.

I can contact Markus, today evening. I think he will contact you directly.

Look in the Ardumower Wiki, there is a some information about the motor driver. DIY Brushless Driver Board – www.wiki.ardumower.de
Which motordriver did you have? The DRV8308 or the A4931?

Hi senil,

the mow motor must not work, but you schould measure the 5V. But you tell me, there are no 5V, then I think the motordriver is defect and you need a new one.
Indeed. I have tested it with a multivoltmeter, but it does not give any voltage at that point.
I don't think Markus has one due to lack of stock, but if he did I would be more than grateful.
If the motordriver for the wheelmotors the same, then you can use it for a short test. You can also conncet the mowdriver to a wheelmotor for countercheck.

I think it will not be possible, since they are physically different. :(

1679415914472.png

I can contact Markus, today evening. I think he will contact you directly.

(y)(y)
Look in the Ardumower Wiki, there is a some information about the motor driver. DIY Brushless Driver Board – www.wiki.ardumower.de
Which motordriver did you have? The DRV8308 or the A4931?

The MOWER motor driver is (as I see on the chip): DRV8308

1679416403210.png

The others are the same on the chip.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,
After getting replacements for my Ardumower I have gotten it working again.
In the end it is a problem in the motor driver. After its replacement with another (thanks to Ben) it has already rotated correctly again.
That if... this time I have added the engine protection as indicated by W1976.
Now I would like to finish programming Ardumower and if I can, find out where the previous driver has broken down and see if it helps to fix it or know how to locate possible problems.
Thank you!!!
Greetings.

Normally, motordrivers should protect themselves.... something is wrong in the code or design. I find it funny, i have those of the first version, and they still live.
The blade can be stuck for minutes because of high grass, or one driver killed a tractionmotor becouse the wheel got stuck.... but no burnt/defect driver since they were introduced. I dont have a "protection" board.

Normally, motordrivers should protect themselves.... something is wrong in the code or design. I find it funny, i have those of the first version, and they still live.
The blade can be stuck for minutes because of high grass, or one driver killed a tractionmotor becouse the wheel got stuck.... but no burnt/defect driver since they were introduced. I dont have a "protection" board.
How lucky you are.
Maybe the problem is that I have an old version of the firmware, actually Sunray-1.0.230.
I have not changed the version so as not to have many variables in failures or problems. But surely I will update shortly when I get my mower stable.
Thank you for your comment, as it can be useful and locate bugs in these circumstances.
Greetings. (y)

Hello,
The same, again. :eek::eek:😭😭😭
My swing motor no longer works. This time without getting stuck or doing anything strange. I only stopped it to carry out a second test after almost 1 hour working correctly.
It seems to me that the driver has failed again.
I also mention that the protector is installed on the engine.
I don't know what else can happen, but two drivers failing in a row indicates that there is something else wrong.

Does anyone know if the drivers that are intended for the wheels can be adapted to the spin motor?
Is that now I have spare parts but only for the wheels.
I also don't know if it's an option, since they will probably fail again over time.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Greetings.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I thought about all the driver burn up posts..... i dont know... but my guess is that the drivers were equipped with FAKE chips.
FAKE chips are a big deal. No offence to marotronics here.

I thought about all the driver burn up posts..... i dont know... but my guess is that the drivers were equipped with FAKE chips.
FAKE chips are a big deal. No offence to marotronics here.
Hello,
I wouldn't know what to say. But after this problem I am going to choose to use motors with brushes. They are simple and although they will degrade over time, I don't think they give me as many problems as the brushless ones.
Of course I don't want this to mean that other users have to opt for brushed motors, but in my case they are giving me a lot of headaches.

Now I have to see what I need for the conversion of my ardumower to this new system.

Hello, I also started with this brushless driver in the time as many users had the burned drivers. I got the tipp to reduce the mow motor maximum speed. With the value 180, I had no burned driver chip until now (one season). But this makes only sense if you have small gras. I think if you have something like a meadow, you will need more power/speed. The problem seems to be stopping under load. Perhaps a smoother stopping routine would help. But this would not be practicable for emergency stop.

But the drivers of the drive motors did not burn out. I've never heard of this. The problem is only the mow motor driver. There are different solutions users with burned mow motor drivers took. You can search here in the forum in several driver threads. JYQD is one of these. Bernd develops a new kind of driver for the shop. But I think, this one will be available too late for you. I think to change the type of the mow motor driver is easier and cheaper than changing all 3 motors + motor main driver adapter. But it's your decision.

Anyhow, Fakechips could withstand the lesser amps of the gearmotors? We still have chipshortage, its difficult for small shops to get a few. Becouse other
enterprises will buy the market?

Hello, I also started with this brushless driver in the time as many users had the burned drivers. I got the tipp to reduce the mow motor maximum speed. With the value 180, I had no burned driver chip until now (one season). But this makes only sense if you have small gras. I think if you have something like a meadow, you will need more power/speed. The problem seems to be stopping under load. Perhaps a smoother stopping routine would help. But this would not be practicable for emergency stop.

But the drivers of the drive motors did not burn out. I've never heard of this. The problem is only the mow motor driver. There are different solutions users with burned mow motor drivers took. You can search here in the forum in several driver threads. JYQD is one of these. Bernd develops a new kind of driver for the shop. But I think, this one will be available too late for you. I think to change the type of the mow motor driver is easier and cheaper than changing all 3 motors + motor main driver adapter. But it's your decision.
Yes, I have seen that they are developing something in the forums. But I still see it quite green and with little documentation.
Maybe hold out for the second mower a while longer and try the first using brushed motors.
I know it's more money, but sometimes you have to sacrifice something to have experience, if you don't break it you don't learn.
Thanks for the help.
All the best.

Anyhow, Fakechips could withstand the lesser amps of the gearmotors? We still have chipshortage, its difficult for small shops to get a few. Becouse other
enterprises will buy the market?
Very true. It will be necessary to see if the controller alternative is a better option.
At least in the meeting that was held in March it looked good.

But the drivers of the drive motors did not burn out.
I had one.
My first mower driver lasted only 3 days and I replaced it with an JYQD 2017, this combination worked well for a few weeks, than my first wheel driver burned too.
I switched than to 3x JYQD 2021 which worked very well over months and still running.

Only downsite, you don't have an emergency stop for the blade, with my 29cm full metal blade it takes up to 10sec for full spindown.
When you can accept this, I would recommend to switch to the 3x JYQD 2021 combination with some code tweaks which are here in the forum.

Those drivers are cheap, easy available and seem to be pretty robust.
My mowing area is sometimes pretty rough and the blade gets stuck mostly at least once per mowing the whole area, not had any problem with the drivers so far.
And even when it fails... it could be replaced instantly with a new 15€ driver.

...or wait for the new drivers to be available

Oben